SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28567 - 08/29/02 02:31 PM Your "fantasy" SRX or SRJV-80 expansion card
raisindot Offline

Started this topic on the Yahoo Groups XV board, thought it might be fun to have it here, too.

If you could create a "fantasy" SRX or SRJV80-card what would it be?

Suggested groundrules: Maximum memory/voices for SRX: 64mb/256

For SRJV80: 16mb/256 voices

Possibilities: Create a new card from scratch, or suggest a new SRX "combo card" combining up to 3 existing SRJV cards.

I'll start:

Mine would be a dedicated jazz/blues card, either SRX or SRJV. It would include:

o A bunch of piano sounds, ranging from club grand and nightclub grand, to honky tonk and bordello uprights.

o A larger selection of acoustic basses

o One Jaco Pastorious-style electric bass

o A wider selection of quality solo trumpets and saxes representing the sonic qualities of Miles, Satchmo, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, and Charlie Parker.

o Ellingtonian and Basie-style horn sections

o A really good set of brush drum sounds

o A couple decent Rhodes, Wurlitzers, and Jimmy Smith jazz organs

o Milt Jackson-style vibes

o A good selection of acoustic and electric blues guitars mimicking the sonic qualities of B.B. King, Elmore James, Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, Albert Collins, Stevie Ray Vaughn and T. Bone Walker

o A good selection of blues harps

That's my fantasy board. What's yours?

Jeff in Boston

#28568 - 08/29/02 04:30 PM Re: Your "fantasy" SRX or SRJV-80 expansion card
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Sweet Idea! I'd buy that card in a second.

I would suggest a general MIDI board. Just hook us up with the best 16 or 64 megs of 128 patches that can be made. I don't need 6 different piano waves to choose from, all of which suck. Just give me 1. Or maybe 2, so we could use up all 256 waves.

This board could largely be made up of patches already existing on the other boards. Give me a piano from the session board, plus maybe one newly sampled piano, an Epiano from the 60s board, as well as organs, strings from the Orchestra board, flute from the Orchestra II board, etc etc.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 08-29-2002).]

#28569 - 09/08/02 10:48 AM Re: Your "fantasy" SRX or SRJV-80 expansion card
RhodesTrip Offline

I've often considered the thought of having a fantasy card available. I think a good approach would be taking a theme, not of instruments (ie: Session / Strings / Piano etc.) but of the nuance. An example being a night/dark SRX with a whole bunch of rich pads and keyboards - all of which have a 'darkness' to them. In the same respect one could be of light sounds... I know these aren't the best examples of what a nuance card could be - but It would be fun to have a card that doesn't classify itself by the instruments on it, but by how it can be used. (I realize that to a certain extent, this was done in the SRJV series with a few cards... as I've yet to try any of them, I posted this anyway).

Matt

#28570 - 09/11/02 09:55 PM Re: Your "fantasy" SRX or SRJV-80 expansion card
danb Offline

I want a board that has nothing on it. Sample the sound you like from the computer and load it to the board. It's kinda like a sample playback. A second one is an 80's and 90's board. With all the samples of those 80's tune. What can't they introduced something like an Artist Theme. Let's say a board with all the samples of Pink Floyds' synth sounds, Electric Grand piano of Journey, Santana's B3, Synth brass of Toto, Synth sounds of Edgar Winter. Are these available in sample CDs?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online